TEST PROCEDURE SPECIFICATION
Test processes determine whether the development products of a given activity conform to the requirements of that activity and whether the system and/or software satisfies its intended use and user needs. The scope of testing encompasses software-based systems, computer software, hardware, and their interfaces.
829-2008 – IEEE Standard for Software and System Test Documentation, is an IEEE standard that specifies the form of a set of documents for use in eight defined stages of software testing, each stage potentially producing its own separate type of document.
Software quality assurance test documentation includes:
Test Procedure Specification
A detail of how the tester will physically run the test, the physical set-up required, and the procedure steps that need to be followed.
IEEE 829 Test Procedure Specification Template
Test Procedure Specification Identifier
•Specify the unique identifier assigned to this test procedure. Supply a reference to the associated test design specification. The naming convention should follow the same general rules as the software it is related, for coordinating software versions within configuration management.
• Unique “short” name for the procedure
• Version date and version number of procedure
• Version Author and contact information
• Revision history
• Describe the purpose of the procedure
• Refer to the test cases being executed
• Manual or Automated
• Stages in which test is to be used (pre-testing, repair and regression testing, future
compliance testing, end-to-end testing, re-testing after certification, etc.)
• Test environment
• Special skills or training required (especially if automated)
• Any prerequisite procedures
What are the activities associated with the procedure. Include any of the following activities thatmay be required to execute the procedure.